Preschooler left with second-degree burns after playing on scalding hot slide
Sunny days and holidays are meant for ice cream and parks, right?
Well for one 4-year-old American girl spending her long weekend doing activities any preschooler loves, it turned out to be a painful experience.
Little Asia Wright received second-degree burns on her bottom after sliding down a scorching hot plastic slide.
Over the US holiday weekend celebrating Independence Day, mom Dawna Wright took her daughters to the John Anderson Park in Grandview, Missouri, for some girl time. But she was horrified by what happened.
Her youngest daughter, Asia, was playing around with her sisters when she eventually decided to join other kids on the slide. But as soon as she slid down it she screamed out in excruciating pain. Asia had been badly burned and was left with blisters on her bottom.
She had to be rushed to hospital where she was treated for second-degree burns.
Dawna took to Facebook to issue a warning to parents about the danger of slides in hot weather.
The mom explained that while she checked on all the park’s equipment before the time, she had no idea how hot the slide actually was since other kids were also playing on it.
“It was frightening. It was sad and scary. I felt so bad for her,” she wrote. “You could tell that the skin was just gone. It just completely took her skin away.”
When Dawna returned that evening with a local television news team to check the temperature of the slide, they measured it at a jaw-dropping 68°C, KSHB reported.
The temperature is shocking, considering that a surface at 45°C is already hot enough to cause burns to the skin.
Asia’s story has received a lot of positive feedback and prayers from all over the world.
Dawna hopes John Anderson Park, and others across the country, will consider investing in covers to prevent equipment from burning other kids, Fox News reported.