Support early education and 'make an even greater impact' this Mandela Day
President Cyril Ramaphosa, in his 2019 State of the Nation Address, said that he wants to see all South African children receive at least two years of Early Childhood Development (ECD) before they begin Grade 1. Recognised globally as the most powerful investment in human capital that a country can make, this commitment to early education for our country’s children could radically change South Africa’s prospects for education and economic growth.
The Nelson Mandela Foundation also recently announced that its strategy for the next ten years of Mandela Day will focus on policy change, with ECD rightfully taking centre stage. ECD is a child’s crucial development phase between birth and going to school. During this phase, children learn foundational cognitive abilities, attitudes, and skills in preparation for primary school and the rest of their life.
Must read: Building the nation with no appreciation: ECD teachers aren’t officially recognised within the NCS
In the lead up to Mandela Day on Thursday 18 July 2019, GROW Educare Centres invites individuals and companies to partner with them and other ECDs in different capacities to bring about sustainable change in celebration of Madiba’s life and legacy.
“We represent 30 Educare Centres across under-resourced communities in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg; all of which are independently owned and working in partnership with us to achieve a 5-star ECD rating. With your help this Mandela Day, we can make an even greater impact,” says Tracey Chambers, CEO of GROW.
Here are GROW with Educare Centre's opportunities for Mandela Day 2019:
1. Donate locally made, and child-appropriate Book Dash books towards mini-libraries.
2. Donate outdoor play equipment, or donate towards the labour costs of laying artificial grass, at Grow ECD centres.
3. Donate educational toys and equipment to be used in GROW ECD centres. The supplier will match every donated item.
4. Volunteer your time to create a Sensory Board for an ECD Centre.
5. Adopt an ECD Centre through a 2-5 year partnership which will help them to reach 5-star ECD level and run a sustainable business.
Also read: OPINION: What the 2019 Budget means for education, child grants and your family’s wellbeing
These Mandela Day opportunities are based on a thorough needs assessment done by the GROW Educare Centres project, which currently has 30 centres running across Cape Town, Durban and Gauteng. Participants can identify which specific centres or regions they want to support, plus all financial donations qualify for tax deductions and SED (Social Enterprise Development) or ED (Enterprise Development) points. Section 18A certificates are also supplied.
For more information about the GROW Educare Centres Mandela Day 2019 opportunities, click here.
Share your story with us, and we could publish your letter. Anonymous contributions are welcome.
- Early Childhood Education: The ultimate key to improving our education system?
- Three easy ways you can help your preschooler develop conversation skills
- How to persuade your daycare to use cloth nappies (or not, as the case may be)